Scientific Publications on MPNs
Below is a chronological list of scientific articles related to polycythemia vera, essential thrombocythemia and myelofibrosis. Where possible we have linked to abstracts and complete articles. If you are unable to download an article you are interested in please contact the publisher directly.
The identification of fibrosis-driving myofibroblast precursors reveals new therapeutic avenues in myelofibrosis. Rafael Kramann and Rebekka K. Schneider Blood 2018 Click here to read more (Current MPNRF grantee)
Defining the requirements for the pathogenic interaction between mutant calreticulin and MPL in MPN Mullally et al. Blood 2018 Click here to read more.
- The role of JAK2 inhibitors in MPN seven years after approval. Francesco Passamonti and Margherita Maffioli Blood 2018 Click here to read more.
Views on Bone Marrow Transplant: A Survey of Patients with Myelofibrosis. Mesa, et al. Biology of Blood and Marrow Transplantation 2018. Click here to read more.
Mutant calreticulin knockin mice develop thrombocytosis and myelofibrosis without a stem cell self-renewal advantage. Green, et al. Blood 2018. Click here to read more.
Clonal evolution and outcomes in myelofibrosis after ruxolitinib discontinuation. Verstovsek, et al. Blood 2017 Click here to read more.
Open Label Phase I Study of Single Agent Oral RG7388 (idasanutlin) in Patients with Polycythemia Vera and Essential Thrombocythemia Blood 2017 Click here to read more.
Efficacy of ALK5 inhibition in myelofibrosis. Pearlie Epling-Burnette, Amit Verma, et al. JCI Insight. 2017 Apr 6; 2(7)
Which Patients with Myelofibrosis Should Receive Allogeneic Stem Cell Transplantation? A Decision Analysis Based on the Systematic Review of 4,341 Patients. Monia Marchetti and Nicolaus Kroeger Blood 2017 Click here to read more
Myeloproliferative Neoplasm Stem Cells. Adam J. Mead and Ann Mullally. Blood 2017 Click here to read more
Transplant Decisions in Patients with Myelofibrosis: Should Mutations Be the Judge? Salit RB1, Deeg HJ2. Biol Blood Marrow Transplant. 2018 Click here to read more.
- Generation, Characterization and Genetic Modification of human iPSCs Containing Calr, MPL and JAK2 Mutations Found in MPN Patients Click here to read more.
- Promedior Announces Completion of Patient Enrollment Milestones in Phase 2 Clinical Studies of PRM-151 in Both Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis and Myelofibrosis Click here to read more
- Final Results from PROUD-PV a Randomized Controlled Phase 3 Trial Comparing Ropeginterferon Alfa-2b to Hydroxyurea in Polycythemia Vera Patients Click here to read more
- Final Results from the Phase 3 Traial Areta Comparing a Novel, Extended-Release Anagrelide Formulation to Placebo in Essential Thrombocythemia Patients with Defined Risk Status Click here to read more
- Results of the Persist-2 Phase 3 Study of Pacritinib (PAC) Versus Best Available Therapy (BAT), Including Ruxolitinib (RUX), in Patients (pts) with Myelofibrosis (MF) and Platelet Counts <100,000/µl Click here to read more
- Impact on MPN Symptoms and Quality of Life of Front Line Pegylated Interferon Alpha-2a Vs. Hydroxyurea in High Risk Polycythemia Vera and Essential Thrombocythemia: Interim Analysis Results of Myeloproliferative Disorders Research Consortium (MPD-RC) 112 Global Phase III Trial Click here to read more
- Interim Analysis of the Myeloproliferative Disorders Research Consortium (MPD-RC) 112 Global Phase III Trial of Front Line Pegylated Interferon Alpha-2a Vs. Hydroxyurea in High Risk Polycythemia Vera and Essential Thrombocythemia The following chart was presented on interim data Click here to read more
New MRI-focused approach to detecting myelofibrosis. Health Imaging. Nov 14, 2016 Click here to read more
- Clinical significance of microcytosis in patients with primary myelofibrosis. Strati P, et al. Leukemia Research August 2014
- Optimal therpy for polycythemia vera and essential thrombocythemia can only be determined by the completion of randomized clinical trials John Mascarenhas; Ruben Mesa; Josef Prchal; Ronald Hoffman Haematologica June 2014
- Effect of NS-018, a selective JAK2V617F inhibitor, in a murine model of myelofibrosis Y Nakaya; K Shide, H Naito, T Niwa, T Horio, J Miyake and K Shimoda
- Somatic Mutations of Calreticulin in Myeloproliferative Neoplasms Robert Kralovics, et al. New England Journal of Medicine December 25, 2013
- Comprehensive whole-genome sequencing of an early-stage primary myelofibrosis patient defines low mutational burden and
nonrecurrent candidate genes Jason Gotlib, et al. Haematologica July 2013
- Age-related differences in disease characteristics and clinical outcomes in polycythemia vera. Brady Stein, et al. Leuk Lymphoma. 2013 Jan 8
- A phase I study of panobinostat (LBH589) in patients with primary myelofibrosis (PMF) and post-polycythaemia vera/essential thrombocythaemia myelofibrosis (post-PV/ET MF) Mascarenhas, et al. British Journal of Haematology, Volume 161, Issue 1, pages 68–75, April 2013
- Derivation and characterization of myeloproliferative disorder stem cells from Human ES cells Jamieson, Catriona. University of California, San Diego (February)
- Patterns of Survival Among Patients With Myeloproliferative Neoplasms Diagnosed in Sweden From 1973 to 2008: A Population-Based Study Malin Huntcrantz, et al. American Society of Clinical Oncology, July 2012
- Long term outcomes of 107 patients with myelofibrosis receiving JAK1/JAK2 inhibitor ruxolitinib: survival advantage in comparison to matched historical controls Verstovsek, et al. Blood, June 20, 2012
- Disease characteristics and clinical outcome in young adults with essential thrombocythemia versus early /prefibrotic primary myelofibrosis Titziano Barbui, et al. Blood. June 13, 2012
- The HDAC Inhibitor Givinostat Modulates the Hematopoietic Transcription Factors NFE2 and C-MYB in JAK2V617F Myeloproliferative Neoplasm Cells Ariel Amaru Calzada, et al. Experimental Hematology April 2012
- Efficacy of vorinostat in a murine model of polycythemia vera H Akada, et al. Blood. 2012 Apr 19;119(16):3779-89.
- Advancing the STATus of MPN pathogenesis. Neil P. Shah and Kevin Shannon. Blood April 12, 2012 vol. 119 no. 15 3374-3376
- Allogeneic Stem Cell Transplantation for Myelofibrosis in 2012 Donal P. McLornan, et al. British Journal of Haematology 29 March 2012
- Experience with pegylated Interferon alpha-2a in advanced myeloproliferative neoplasms in an international cohort of 118 patients Krisstina Gowin, et al. Haematologica, March 15 2012
- Genetic analysis of patients with leukemic transformation of myeloproliferative neoplasms reveals recurrent SRSF2 mutations which are associated with adverse outcome. Zhang, et al. Blood March 19, 2012
- A Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled Trial of Ruxolitinib for Myelofibrosis Srdan Verstovsek, et al. New England Journal of Medicine 2012; 366:799-807March 1, 2012
- Assessment and prognostic value of the European LeukemiaNet criteria for clinicohematologic response, resistance, and intolerance to hydroxyurea in polycythemia vera. Alberto Alvarez-Larran, et al. Blood, February 9 2012. Volume 119; Number 6
- Perspectives on chronic inflammation in essential thrombocythemia, polycythemia vera, and myelofibrosis: is chronic inflammation a trigger and driver of clonal evolution and development of accelerated atherosclerosis and second cancer? Hasselbach, HC. Blood. 2012 Apr 5;119(14):3219-25
- A novel murine model of myeloproliferative disorders generated by overexpression of the transcription factor NF-E2. Kaufmann, Kai B., et al. The Journal of Experimental Medication January 2012
- One thousand patients with primary myelofibrosis: the Mayo Clinic experience. Ayalew Tefferi. Mayo Clinic Proceedings Volume 87, Issue 1 , Pages 25-33, January 2012
- A novel, highly sensitive and rapid Allele Specific-Loop mediated Amplification assay for the detection of the JAK2V617F mutation in chronic myeloproliferative neoplasms. Giulia Minncci, et al. Haematologica February 7 2012
- How to manage children and young adults with myeloproliferative neoplasms. Titziano Barbui. Leukemia, 18 January 2012
- New Mutations and Pathogenesis of Myeloproliferative Neoplasms. William Vainchenker, François Delhommeau, Stefan N. Constantinescu and Olivier A. Bernard. Blood 2011 118: 1723-1735
- A new era for IFN-α in the treatment of Philadelphia-negative chronic myeloproliferative neoplasms. Hasselbalch, HC. Expert Rev Hematol. 2011 Dec;4(6):637-55.
- Predictors of greater than 80% two-year mortality in primary myelofibrosis: a Mayo Clinic study of 884 karyotypically-annotated patients. Blood 2011 118: 4595-4598
- DNMT3A mutational analysis in primary myelofibrosis, chronic myelomonocytic leukemia and advanced phases of myeloproliferative neoplasms. O Abdel-Wahab, A Pardanani, R Rampal, T L Lasho, R L Levine and A Tefferi. Leukemia 25, 1219-1220
- How I treat myelofibrosis. Ayalew Tefferi. Blood 2011 117: 3494-3504
- Interferon and PV Cells. Josef T. Prchal, Blood August 11, 2011 vol. 118 no. 6 1429-1430
- Blood consult: resistant and progressive essential thrombocythemia. Raoul Tibes and Ruben A. Mesa. Blood May 23, 2011
- JAK inhibitors in myeloproliferative neoplasms. L. Knoops, S.N. Constantinescu. Pharmacotherapy Belgian Journal of Hematology Volume 2, Issue 1, March 2011
- A CK2-dependent mechanism for activation of the JAK-STAT signaling pathway. Ying Zheng, et al. Blood July 7, 2011 vol. 118 no. 1 156-166
- The Myeloproliferative Neoplasm Symptom Assessment Form (MPN-SAF): international prospective validation and reliability trial in 402 patients. Robyn Scherber, et al. Blood May 2011
- The dominant negative β isoform of the glucocorticoid receptor is uniquely expressed in erythroid cells expanded from polycythemia vera patients. Lillian Varricchio, et al. Blood July 14, 2011 vol. 118 no. 2 425-436
- Resistant and progressive essential thrombocythemia. Raoul Tibes & Ruben Mesa. Blood Blood July 14, 2011 vol. 118 no. 2 240-242
- Indications for and current results with allogeneic hematopoetic cell transplantation in patients with myelorfibrosis. H. Joachim Deeg and Frederick R. Appelbaum. Blood 2011 117: 7185
- Recombinant Interferon-Alpha May Retard Progression of Early Primary Myelofibrosis: a Preliminary Report. Richard T. Silver, Katherine Vandris and Joshua J. Goldman. Blood 2011 117: 6669-6672
- The histone methyltransferase SETDB1 is recurrently amplified in melanoma and accelerates its onset. Ceol, Craig J, et al. Nature March 2011 Volume 471
- The role of the JAK2 GGCC haplotype and the TET2 gene in familial myeloproliferative neoplasms. Damla Olcyadu, et al. haematologica March 1, 2011 vol. 96 no. 3 367-374
- HiJAKing the Methylosome in Myeloproliferative Disorders. Radek C. Skoda, Jürg Schwaller. Cancer Cell, Volume 19, Issue 2, 161-163, 15 February 2011
- Extent of hematopoeitic invovlement by TET2 mutations in JAK2 polycythemia vera. Sabina I. Swierczek, et al. Haematologica 2011; 96 (5)
- The Ph-positive and Ph-negative myeloproliferative neoplasms: some topical pre-clinical and clinical issues. Richard E. Van Etten, et al. haematologica April 1, 2011 vol. 96 no. 4 590-601
- The renaissance of interferon therapy for the treatment of myeloid malignancies.Jean-Jacques Kiladjian, Ruben A. Mesa and Ronald Hoffman. Blood 2011 117: 4706-4715
- JAK inhibitors in myeloproliferative neoplasms. L. Knoops, S.N. Constantinesc. Pharmacotherapy Belgian Journal of Hematology Volume 2, Issue 1, March 2011
- How I treat essential thrombocythemia. Anthony R. Green. Blood February 3, 2011 vol. 117 no. 5 1472-1482
- Prediction of venous thromboembolism in cancer patients. Cihan Ay, et al. Blood 2010 116: 5377-5382
- Rethinking Disease Definitions and Therapeutic Strategies in Essential Thrombocythemia and Polycythemia Vera. Claire Harrison. ASH Education Book December 4, 2010 vol. 2010 no. 1 129-134
- Two routes to leukemic transformation after a JAK2 mutation-positive myelproliferative neoplasm. Beer, Philip A., et al. Blood 2010 115: 2891-2900
- New model for predicting blood clot risk in cancer patients (October)
- Prevalence of JAK2 V617F mutation in Indian patients with chronic myeloproliferative disorders. Sudha Sazawal, et al. Indian J. Med Res. 132 October 2010, pp 423-427
- The JAK2 46/1 haplotype confers susceptibility to essential thrombocythemia regardless of JAK2V617F mutational status—clinical correlates in a study of 226 consecutive patients Anamesh Pardanani, et al. Leukemia (2010) 24, 110–114
- Clonal analysis of erythroid progenitors suggests that Pegylated Interferon Alpha - 2a treatment targets JAK2 clones without affecting TET2 mutant cells. Letter to the editor of Leukemia (2010) 1-4
- Molecular basis and clonal evolution of myeloproliferative neoplasms. Roland Jager and Robert Kralovics. Hamatologica April 1, 2010 vol. 95 no. 4 526-529
- Detection of mutant TET2 in myeloid malignancies other than myeloproliferative neoplasms: CMML, MDS, MDS/MPN and AML Ayalew Tefferi, et al. Leukemia (2009) 23, 1343–1345
- Prevalence and prognostic impact of allelic imbalances associated with leukemic transformation of Philadelphia chromosome–negative myeloproliferative neoplasms Nils H. Thoennissen, et al. Blood April 8, 2010 vol. 115 no. 14 2882-2890
- Deletions of the transcription factor Ikaros in myeloproliferative neoplasms. Roland Jager, et al. Leukemia 2010 1-9
- MPL mutation effect on JAK2 46/1 haplotype frequency in JAK2V617F-negative myeloproliferative neoplasms MM Patnaik, et al. Leukemia 24, 859-860 (April 2010)
- A dynamic prognostic model to predict survival in primary myeloï¬brosis: a study by the IWG-MRT (International Working Group for Myeloproliferative Neoplasms Research and Treatment). Francesco Passamonti, et al. BLOOD, 4 MARCH 2010 VOLUME 115, NUMBER 9
- Jak2 kinase inhibitors and myeloproliferative disorders. AT Chen and Josef Prchal. Current Opinion in Hematology. 2010 March; 17(2): 110-6
- Molecular aspects of myeloproliferative neoplasms. Francois Delhommeau, et al. International Journal of Hematology, February 27 2010.
- Quantification of fibrosis and osteosclerosis in myeloproliferative neoplasms: A computer-assisted image stuty. CJ Teman, et al. Leukemia Research. 2010 January 30.
- Cytogenetic correlates of TET2 mutations in 199 patients with myeloproliferative neoplasms. Kebede Hussein, et al. Americal Journal of Hematology, Volume 85 Issue 1, pages 81-83 January 2010
- The long and winding road takes an unexpected turn. Charles Parker. Hematologist, 7: (1):12, 2010
- Mature Survival Data for 176 Patients Younger than 60 Years With Primary Myelofibrosis Diagnosed Between 1976 and 2005: Evidence for Survival Gains in Recent Years. Vaidya, et al. Mayo Clinic Proceedings. December 2009; 84(12): 1114-1119
- Analysis of the Ten-Eleven Translocation 2 (TET2) gene in familial myeloproliferative neoplasms. Saint-Martin, Cecile, et al. Blood 2009 114: 1628-1632
- Pegylated interferon alfa-2a yields high rates of hematologic and molecular response in patients with advanced essential thrombocythemia and polycythemia vera. A. Quintas-Cardama, et al. Journal of Clinical Oncology, 2009 November 10;27 (32) 5418-24
- Clonal analyses define the relationships between chromosomal abnormalities and JAK2V617F in patients with Ph-negative myeloproliferative neoplasms. Xiaolei Wang, et al. Experimental Hematology. 2009, 37: 1194-200
- Correction of the Abnormal Trafficking of Primary Myelofibrosis CD34+ Cells by Treatment with Chromatin Modifying Agents. Xiaoli Wang, et al. Cancer Research, 2009. 69: 7243-7251
- Involvement of mast cells by the malignant process in patients with Philadelphia chromosome negative myeloproliferative neoplasms. J Want, et al. Luekemia. 2009 9:1577-86
- AK2 germline genetic variation affects disease susceptibility in primary myelofibrosis regardless of V617F mutational status: nullizygosity for the JAK2 46/1 haplotype is associated with inferior survival Ayalew Tefferi, et al. Leukemia (2010) 24, 105–109
- Lnk inhibits myeloproliferative disorder-associated JAK2 mutant, JAK2V617F Sigal Gery, et al. June 2009
Journal of Leukocyte Biology vol. 85 no. 6 957-965
- Imatinib mesylate therapy for polycythemia vera: final result of a phase II study initiated in 2001. Nuzzensveig, et al. International Journal of Hematology. 2009 May 30
- Frequent TET2 mutations in systemic mastocytosis: clinical, KITD816V and FIP1L1-PDGFRA correlates. Ayalew Tefferi et, al. Leukemia. 2009 May;23(5):900-4.
- Lnk inhibits myeloproliferative disorder-associated JAK2 mutant, JAK2V617F. S. Gery, et al. Journal of Leukocyte Biology. 2009 Jun;85(6):957-65. Epub 2009 Mar 17.
- TET2 mutations and their clinical correlates in polycythemia vera, essential thrombocythemia and myelofibrosis. Ayalew Tefferi, et al. Leukemia (2009) 23, 905–911
- Genetic characterization of TET1, TET2, and TET3 alterations in myeloid malignancies. Blood 2009 114: 144-147
- Epidemiology of Myelodysplastic Syndromes and Chronic Myeloproliferative Disorders in the United States, 2011-2004, Using Data from the NAACCR and SEER Programs. Rollison, Dana E., et al. Blood 2008 112: 45-52
- Population-Based Incidence and Survival Figures in Essential Thrombocythemia and Agnogenic Myeloid Metaplasia: An Olmsted Country Study, 1976-1995. Mesa, Ruben A., et al. American Journal of Hematology 61:10-15 (1999)
- Prevalence of polycythemia vera and essential thrombocythemia. Xiaomei Ma, et al. American Journal of Hematology. 2008 May;83(5):359-62.
- Selective Inhibition of JAK2-Driven Erythroid Differentiation of Polycythemia Vera Progenitors. Ifat Geron, et al. Cancer Cell 13, 321–330, April 2008
- Efï¬cacy of TG101348, a Selective JAK2 Inhibitor, in Treatment of a Murine Model of JAK2V617F-Induced Polycythemia Vera. Gerlinde Wernig, et al. Cancer Cell 13, 311–320, April 2008
- Chronic myeloproliferative disorders in childhood. Georgina W. Hall. Myeloproliferative Disorders in Practice 2008. Vol 2., No. 2
- Extending Jak2V617F and MplW515 mutation analysis to single hematopoietic colonies and B and T lymphocytes. Anamesh Pardanani, et al. Stem Cells. 2007 Sep;25(9):2358-62
- Role of JAK2 in the pathogenesis and therapy of myeloproliferative disorders. Ross L. Levine, Animesh Pardanani, Ayalew Tefferi & Gary Gilliland. Nature Reviews Cancer 7, 673-683 (September 2007)
- Proposals and rationale for revision of the World Health Organization diagnostic criteria for polycythemia vera, essential thrombocythemia, and primary myelofibrosis: recommendations from an ad hoc international expert panel Ayalew Tefferi, et al. Blood August 15, 2007 vol. 110 no. 4 1092-1097
- TG101209, a small molecule JAK2-selective kinase inhibitor potently inhibits myeloproliferative disorder-associated JAK2V617F and MPLW515L/K mutations. Anamesh Pardanani, et al. Leukemia. 2007 Aug;21(8):1658-68. Epub 2007 May 31.
- Oncogenes in myeloproliferative disorders. Ayalew Tefferi & Gary Gilliland. Cell Cycle 2007 March 1; 6(5):550-66
- A novel
- Jak2 exon 12 mutations in polycythemia vera and idiopathic erythrocytosis. Scott, LM et al. New England Journal of Medicine. 2007 February 1; 356 (5): 459-68
- Epidemiology of the myeloproliferative disorders polycythemia vera and essential thrombocythemia. Johansson P. Semin Thromb Hemost. 2006 Apr;32(3):171-3.
- Acquired mutation of the tyrosine kinase JAK2 in human myeloproliferative disorders. E. Joanna Baxter, et al. The Lancet, Volume 365, Issue 9464, Pages 1054 - 1061, 19 March 2005
- Trends in the incidence of chronic Philadelphia chromosome negative (ph-) meyloproliferative disorders in the city of Goteborg Sweden during 1983-1999 P. Johanssen, et al. J Intern Med. 2004 Aug;256(2):161-5.
- Agent orange and cancer: an overview for clinicians. Howard Frumkin. Volume 53 Y Number 4 Y July/August 2003 2
- Familial polycythemia vera: results from the Swedish Family-Center database. K Hemminki and Y Jiang. Leukemia August 2001, Volume 15, Number 8, Pages 1313-1315
- Epidemiology of the myeloproliferative disorders: essential thrombocythaemia, polycythaemia vera and idiopathic myelofibrosis. J. Kutti & B. Ridell. Pathol Biol (Paris). 2001 Mar;49(2):164-6.
2000 & Earlier
- Incidence of chronic myeloproliferative disorders in the city of Goteborg, Sweden 1983-1992 Ridell B, et al. European Journal of Haematology. 2000 Oct;65(4):267-71.
- Population-based incidence and survival in essential thrombocythemia and agnogenic myeloid metaplasia: An Olmsted County Study, 1976-1995 Mesa RA, Silverstein MN, Jacobsen SJ, Wollan PC, Tefferi A. Am J Hematol. 1999 May;61(1):10-5.
- Age and sex distributions of hematological malignancies in the U.K. (1997)
- Trends in the incidence of polycythemia vera among Olmsted County, Minnesota residents, 1935-1989 Dr. Basilio J. Ania, et al. American Journal of Hematology Volume 47, Issue 2, pages 89–93, October 1994
- Incidence of polycythemia vera in a defined population Berglund S, Zettervall O. European Journal of Haematology. 1992 Jan;48(1):20-6.